Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Only One Week In

It has only been 7 days since I first arrived in Vienna and I already feel like a local. I came to this country with 4 German phrases and no idea of the cultural shock to come. In one week I have learned the streets of Vienna, learned basic conversation, picked up on the accent, and even traveled to the Alps. It is so amazing here. I love having a dream about being in America and then waking up and realizing I'm in Europe, I get so happy.
The city of Vienna is incredible. If any building was moved from here to Boston, it would be the centerpiece of the city, but it's just another building over here. I think I've seen it all, but then I turn the corner and another masterpiece is standing before me.
Daily life here is really fun because it turns basic errands into adventures. When you don't speak the language, it becomes a lot more difficult and you feel so much better about yourself when you successfully communicate with somebody.
My fellow students are all great. We all get along very well and there hasn't been any problems thus far. We are a good group of students who have a good level of trust within eachother.
The people here are a lot different than in America, because they are very firm, and sometimes rude. People like to walk around with they mouth closed and their arms only to propel their walk, never to wave. After being here 1 week, I realize they are like a cactus, they show they don't want to be disturbed on the outside, but they are soft on the inside. Most people here speak at least a little English, so when I don't know how to say something in German, they can understand my English. I try to speak as much German as possible, but some people tell me not to because many people know English, and German is only spoken in 2 countries. I feel other people are different because when they hear the American accent or hear my English, they get rude.
To a completely different topic, I have managed to travel outside Vienna this weekend and went southwestern to the Austrian Alps to go snowboarding. The Alps are so beautiful. It is just one gigantic beautiful mountain after another and it goes as far as the eye can see.
I love it here in Vienna and it seems like I have too many memories for only 1 week, but that's something I can't complain about. I hope I can get the most out of this trip. But as of the first week, it was amazing =D

No comments:

Post a Comment