Friday, March 13, 2009

Rome, Italy



Wow, where do I begin... 3 nights and 4 days in Rome was one of the most incredable experience I've ever done. There are so many highlights, but it's better if I tell this like a timeline.
Pre-trip information:
Nicole and I wanted to get away for the long 4 day weekend, so we decided to take a trip to Rome! We booked a Hostel for 9 Euro ($12) per night and decided to ask if anybody else wanted to go last minute; Ryan decided to join us. So Nicole and I now had another fellow classmate join.
The trip started at 7:23PM on Thursday night, and the train would take 13/14 hours to get to Roma Termini. The trip was long, but we met a few European teens who were delighted to have a conversation with us in English. I managed to sleep about 3 hours on the train.
On Friday at around 9AM we got to the station and went to go find our hostel. It was a beautiful place that was very secure, friendly, and located 5 minutes from the terminal. We left our bags there and I saw this girl who was unpacking, she smiled and said hi. After about 30 seconds, I found out she went to the same high school as my father in Petah Tikvah, Israel. We became friends very quickly and she would join us until she left for Israel. Our first day I split off from the group and went with Chen (the CH is pernounced like CHannukah, or leCHaim). We went to the Republic, then got lunch. Pizza no doubt. After the amazing food we went to the center of Rome, saw the old ruins and then looked to our left and saw the incredable Coluseum. I knew I was in Rome when I first arrived, but seeing this landmark really made me know I was in the center of Rome. Infront of me was the whole premasis of "Bread and Circus", the Gladatorial Games, and what kept the Roman citizens happy. We toured more of the city, and then went back to the hostel and slept.
Friday we went on a more detailed trip and saw the shopping streets, the Spanish steps, more ruins, and other marvoulous architecture. We toured much more of the city and went back to look at the Coloseum again, and eat at other restaurants.
Saterday was great. We went inside of the Coloseum and it was incredable. They are rebuilding part of the floor, so you can understand what it was like there. Just being in the center of the Coloseum looking around at the seats and where the emporer sat was just incredable. That day we went to many other places. I went to the Tribute fountain, and up to the northern end of the city, and just all over. I had lunch on the river with this guy I met at the hostel from Buffalo, New York, and we saw where Caesar was assassinated. That night I went out to a few bars with the friends I met at the hostel and met 2 girls from the town next to me in Massachusetts. Such a small world! Then I met this other girl who knew one of my friends from my college, and was travelling with her... again SMALL WORLD. It was a lot of fun.
Sunday we caught up on all the places we missed or wanted to see again. We managed to go shopping, go to the Pantheon, and other places to the West of the city.
Monday was quite incredable, we went to another country within Rome. For those who don't know their geography I'm talking about Vatican City. I went inside the museaum and saw works by many famous artists, such as Raphael and Michaelangelo. The Sistine Chapel was incredable. I was all of a sudden in this long narrow and tall room, and I look up and see the "Creation of Man," where G-d is touching Adam's finger. Absolutely Incredable. That day we packed up and left for Vienna.
This trip was so amazing and I managed to keep my budget on track. I spent less than $150 for 4 days, because the Hostel was only $12 a night, and it included breakfast and dinner. So worth it. I am off to Salzburg this weekend, and then Innsbruck, and then Munich, and then Venice? I will recap all of my journeys when I return.
Auf Wiedersein.

No comments:

Post a Comment